Surprised by Joy

Yes, I stole this title. I am reading the C. S. Lewis book Surprised by Joy, and I realized as I prepared to title my painting and write my blog post that this quote from the first chapter of the book is a good explanation of part of what I am painting about. "...it is that of an unsatisfied desire which is itself more desirable than any other satisfaction. I call it Joy, which is here a technical term and must be sharply distinguished both from Happiness and from Pleasure ... anyone who has experienced it will want it again." In the beginning of this book, Lewis is narrating part of his early life, and tells of this sense of longing that he later terms Joy. He describes it in words that draw the memory of the same feeling to the surface of my heart. 


12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

The concept is closely tied for me with the idea of 'streams in the desert', and of seeking the face of the Lord. Those places in the heat of weary sojourning where my soul says, "Ahh, here it is!" are what I feel when I look at the cool blue tones in the hot red of the painting. Surprises of longing - of joy. 

Here are some passages from the Bible that I have reveled in this morning. 
Psalm 63:1-2
God, You are my God; I eagerly seek You.
I thirst for You;
my body faints for You
in a land that is dry, desolate, and without water.
So I gaze on You in the sanctuary
to see Your strength and Your glory.

Isaiah 35:1-6 (excerpts)
The wilderness and the dry land will be glad;
the desert will rejoice and blossom like a rose.
It will blossom abundantly
and will also rejoice with joy and singing. ... 
They will see the glory of the Lord,
the splendor of our God.
Strengthen the weak hands,
steady the shaking knees! ... 
for water will gush in the wilderness,
and streams in the desert;

Comments