Rod and Staff

Rod and Staff
I am continuing my daily painting project for at least a few more days. I love completing daily paintings, and I might try to continue indefinitely, but I have work to do on some bigger paintings! I think it ought to be possible to do both, don't you?

Today's post is a continuation of the Psalm 23 series of paintings. I am excited with this collection of paintings. I have done my group of nine, but I think one or two still need some tweaking before I release the whole group as a finished series. But I am pleased with this one, representing Psalm 23:4b "... Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me."

6" x 6"
Painted with the finest quality acrylic heavy-body paint on Art Bite panel
Ready to frame


I read a little bit from an older book about the rod and staff of a shepherd, and found these tools of the trade are specifically chosen and carved to fit the individual shepherd's hand. They are used for protection, correction, and guidance for the sake of the sheep. The ascending lines in this L-shaped composition remind me of the saplings that would be chosen and carved into these indispensable pieces of equipment in the hand of a shepherd.  The idea of my Good Shepherd having 'tools' that are perfectly suited for His use in His care for me comforted me, just as David was comforted.


Comments