Day 12; Never Moved

Never Moved
I wish I could show you this painting in real life! The colors are so invigorating - hints of purple, deep teal and green, and iridescent copper. And the 'root' is heavily textured modeling compound with bits of natural mica. I love it!

As I read Proverbs 12 this morning in preparation for my painting time today, I noticed (for the first time) that the idea of being rooted and established occurs twice in this chapter, and I started to think about that concept for a painting. My first thoughts seemed trite and predictable, and if there is one thing I want to avoid as an abstract painter, it is being trite! ;)

I decided to do a little research, so I looked up 'tree' and 'root' and 'Israel'. I found - to my excitement - that in Israel, trees grow so that the roots penetrate rock layers and are sometimes seen at the edges of geologic formations. (I would love to work more with this idea in the future... I could see some great paintings coming from it!) 

The idea of the stability of those trees, with long, strong roots growing through rock layers gave new strength to my understanding of this passage, too. I found it very encouraging! I hope you do too. 


Proverbs 12:3 No one is established by wickedness, but the root of the righteous will never be moved.
12 Whoever is wicked covets the spoil of evildoers, but the root of the righteous bears fruit.


11" x 14" mixed media on panel

Leave comment or contact me directly to purchase.

Comments