Philistine Triptych part 2

Philistine Triptych part 2
Today for day 3 of the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge, I am presenting the second part of my Philistine Triptych. It's a curious name, isn't it? But I really like it. I like it because it is whimsical and interesting, but also because it reminds me of my friend Emma Lou, and of our conversations. I am so thankful for her friendship, and our conversations that span every topic I can think of! (I suspect she will read this - I hope it doesn't embarrass you, Emma Lou!) 

The Philistine title of this little triptych is a playful reminder to myself that everyone doesn't see art the same way I do. It is as though we are Philistines to each other, seeing each other as barbarians, speaking different languages, and holding different cultures and values. 

When I was at the workshop/retreat I attended on Cape Cod (are you tired of hearing about that yet?), I heard someone talking about whether or not "the emperor was wearing any clothes". Clearly, this person had a view of some of the art work that was being shown that was quite different from that of the presenter. (The art work in question was not presented by the artist giving the workshop, just so you know!) 

6" x 6" (part two of a triptych)
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

Click here to purchase from my website. 

For a time, my daughter and I ran a coffee shop, Latte Art, that was started from the ground up by our family. We all were part of the effort, but my daughter and I attended coffee school and were the baristas when we started out. Our shop was a "third wave" shop in our town before there were any other third wave shops around. We did artisan coffee before anyone in our town seemed to know what that was. When people came in and ordered a macchiato, expecting a tall, frothy, syrupy drink, our macchiato didn't suit them at all. Even though each step of our espresso drinks was fine-tuned to bring out the very best flavor of coffee and steamed milk, some found it distasteful. We were Philistines to them, and they were to us. 

One of the things I hope for with my art is that I will help bridge the gap between points of view. I hope that some can see and appreciate hope in my paintings that they might have never been able to see before. Sometimes I try to express with words the way that I am using concepts, composition, and color to present something. I actually hope that someone viewing my work might 'feel' the hope and the love that I find in Jesus Christ. I hope for a link between Philistine cultures. 

Contact me to purchase as a triptych.

Comments