A Crown of Pure Gold


For today's challenge painting, (and, yes, I am several days behind!) I am sharing another painting that is difficult to photograph. I am sure it couldn't be the skill of the *ahem* photographer that causes these difficulties! It is a painting with so many layers that I have lost track of them. There are tiny hints of color here and there, but it is mostly gold and transparent black layered over and over. Iridescent paint often represents GOD in my paintings, and I think black carries its own connotations. 

Here is something that I noticed when I was studying this painting. When I am looking upward at this 'pure gold' painting, with the light hitting it from above, I see many tiny sparkles where the light hits the iridescence of the gold paint. And also, (so interesting) the sparkles show up better in the darker areas! As we would say around our house, "That would preach!" Doesn't it make you think of how things are more beautiful when your eyes are turned up toward our loving Heavenly Father? And could it be that the dark times in our lives make His beauty show up more clearly? 


12" x 12"
Painted with acrylic heavy-body paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper mounted on on hand-made, prepared cradled wood panel

Click here to purchase from my website. 

Here is a section from my Bible reading this morning. 
Psalm 21:1 - 3 (HCSB)
Lord, the king finds joy in Your strength.
How greatly he rejoices in Your victory!
You have given him his heart’s desire
and have not denied the request of his lips. Selah
For You meet him with rich blessings;
You place a crown of pure gold on his head.

When I looked for more passages on crowns, (I mean, a crown is not something I am seeing on a daily basis... I need a bit more information!) here are some verses I found:

James 1:12 (HCSB) A man who endures trials is blessed, because when he passes the test he will receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love Him.
This one made me think about the dark parts of the painting - the trials - juxtaposed with the golden crowns...

1 Peter 5:4 (HCSB) And when the chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the unfading crown of glory.
And here, I thought about my dad, whose name is Peter, and who is now in the presence of his King...

In the last book of the Bible, there are people 'casting crowns' at Jesus' feet. I don't know if that will be something that everyone in Heaven gets to do, but wouldn't that be awesome? I cannot wait to see Him, and if I had a golden crown to give... what delight! 

Coram Deo.

Comments