Hesed

Today for my challenge painting, I decided to finally get out my nihonga oyster shell and brushes and try using some of what I learned at an artist retreat and workshop with renowned artist, Makoto Fujimura.  I chose to paint on paper my Beloved Husband brought back from Honduras about a year ago. It is handmade paper made from tobacco. I have had a tough time finding anything that I thought worked well with this paper - UNTIL NOW! I just love the way these elements work together! I hope to find a good way to use them. 

The Hebrew word I have written is supposed to be hesed. (Since I don't know Hebrew, it turns out that I got a few things wrong... I spelled it backwards, and got some of the letters a tad bit misshapen, but my Hebrew scholar seminarian daughter will help me get it right next time!) This word shows up a lot in the Old Testament, and according to my study Bible notes, it means "loyal, steadfast, or faithful love and stresses the idea of a belonging together of those involved in the love relationship." Ryrie Study Bible note for Hosea 2:19. It is sometimes translated lovingkindness or mercy. I love this word, since it is part of the character of GOD and describes His love for me. 

Hosea 2:19-20 (HCSB)
I will take you to be My wife forever.
I will take you to be My wife in righteousness,
justice, love, and compassion.
I will take you to be My wife in faithfulness,
and you will know Yahweh.

Well, back to more painting today! 

Comments