In Memoriam

In Memoriam*
My Beloved Husband sometimes asks, "Don't you wonder when the last time was that we... " about different things. For example, when was the last time we took a family bike ride, or what was the last diaper we changed on our kids, or when was the last time we dialed a rotary telephone? I think many people try to be aware of moments, but still, they pass without any fanfare. 

This past weekend was cold and rainy here in northern Indiana, and I wondered how the summer had passed me by so quickly. What was the last day when I could have sat outside in the sun and soaked up some vitamin D in preparation for winter? Well, I told myself that the next nice day, I would be sure to soak up some sun. Today is warm and sunny, and for some reason, the mosquitoes seem to be less active than they were yesterday, so I am typing outside rather than spending the daylight hours painting as I usually do.  (Besides, the painting on my easel is more than a one day project!)

SOLD
12" x 12"
Painted with acrylic heavy-body paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper mounted on on hand-made, prepared cradled wood panel

Click here to view on my website.

Today is probably one of those days when many people remember more than most days. Today is September 11, the day that the United States was attacked by enemies on our own soil. I vividly remember where I was on that day, and you probably do too, if you're old enough. Many, many people are forever changed by that day, and they remember the last time they said goodbye to their loved ones. 

My 'reserve painting' (painted ahead for the 30 paintings in 30 days challenge) for today is iridescent copper with transparent black, painted in layer after layer. It reminds me of a memorial plaque, or a statue, or a little copper ornament that I have in memory of my dad. The textures and paint and colors show through from all of the previous layers, preserving memories of what has gone before. 

Also, just look at this prayer from my Bible reading today! 

Psalm 20 (HCSB)
 May Yahweh answer you in a day of trouble;
may the name of Jacob’s God protect you.
 May He send you help from the sanctuary
and sustain you from Zion.
 May He remember all your offerings
and accept your burnt offering. Selah
 May He give you what your heart desires
and fulfill your whole purpose.
 Let us shout for joy at your victory
and lift the banner in the name of our God.
May Yahweh fulfill all your requests.
 Now I know that the LORD gives victory to His anointed;
He will answer him from His holy heaven
with mighty victories from His right hand.
 Some take pride in chariots, and others in horses,
but we take pride in the name of Yahweh our God.
 They collapse and fall,
but we rise and stand firm.
 LORD, give victory to the king!
May He answer us on the day that we call.

*Dictionary.com defines 'in memoriam' as "in memory (of); to the memory (of); as a memorial (to): used on gravestones, in obituaries, etc."

Comments