Not My Style

Not My Style
My hair stylist is the best! I suppose a lot of people feel that way, but really, they should try Tony. She has taken my hair through all kinds of interesting phases, and now I have a creative, artist-y haircut. When I was a barista in our own coffee shop, I had smooth, shining hair that was just right for that job. But now that I get to paint – ZOWIE! My hair sticks out in unpredictable places and sometimes is purple. When I am at art events, sometimes people will say, “Are you the artist? I thought so. You have artist hair.” I love that comment.

Sometimes, though, on a “bad hair day”, my hair looks “nice”. Rats! Sometimes it lies down nicely and looks like an ordinary short hair style. I am sure I would like it on someone else, but it is definitely not my style! (I have to say, too, that although my smooth style as a barista worked for me at that time, I think most who know me would agree now that it was not really my style either.)

NLA
12" x 12"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on deep, gallery wrapped canvas
Ready to hang

Well, on this painting I tried a composition that is tough for me, and not really my style. I want to keep pushing my boundaries – trying new things in my artwork – and see if I find something that I love. I know that rarely are these practice works successful, and the jury is still out for me on whether I keep practicing this “overlapping rectangles” or “frames” style of composition. But I do like to keep trying.

You know, there was one haircut that we tried for a while, and I just couldn’t make it work for me. I told Tony that it made me feel like Bozo. (Remember him?) And after a few months with it, we switched. I will probably have to give this composition a few more tries, too, before the final decision is made.

I am reminded this morning that I have been created with a particular style of my own on purpose by my Creator. He delights in never having two identical people – not even twins are identical! I think He really loves our idiosyncrasies and the things that we think are the most interesting about ourselves, because He gave us those characteristics. Isn’t that cool? And freeing? He is awesome.

Psalm 139:13-14 (HCSB) “For it was You who created my inward parts;
You knit me together in my mother’s womb.
I will praise You because I have been remarkably and wonderfully made.
Your works are wonderful, and I know this very well.”

Comments