You might be an artist if #5

In Peace
"I HAVE NO VIKINGS GEAR! This is a travesty!" I messaged my mother (who lives in Minnesota) and my son (who was born there, and is a Vikings fan). I was sorry to see my Minnesota Vikings lose their playoff game, and when I talked to my mom this morning, she told me she was "bleeding purple". 

Purple is a favorite color for me, and some say it is a favorite for many artists. I don't really know whether that is true, but you might be an artist if the book Harold and the Purple Crayon was one of your favorites as a child. Harold and the Purple Crayon by Crockett Johnson filled me with possibilities when I was a child, and a couple of years ago, my daughter bought me a copy for Christmas. I still love the simple book, and recently I even gave a copy to another artist friend, who, incidentally, is named Harold. 

In Peace, painted in 2015, (original post here)
48" x 36"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on hand-made, prepared wood panel

Ready to frame

In Peace is a painting from 2015 that is still one of my favorite paintings, and of course, has purple in it. It seems to me to have a mysterious sense of place about it, and it looks inviting. This painting hung in the Indianapolis State House for a year and a half, as you might remember, which I saw as quite an honor! The verse that first inspired me in connection with this painting is Psalm 4:8, and I think the truth of peace and safety expressed here fits well with both the mysterious world of this painting, and with the explorations of Harold with his purple crayon. 

Psalm 4:8 (HCSB)
"I will both lie down and sleep in peace,
for You alone, Lord, make me live in safety."

There have been five posts so far about things that might show that you are an artist. Have you seen them, and are they true of you? What other books have been significant to you as an artist?

Comments