You might be an artist if #1

Penny for Your Thoughts
"You might be an artist if... " Last November, amidst the busyness and flurry of Thanksgiving, I had an idea that I wanted to use for my blog posts, but I knew that I couldn't keep up with posting them then. Today, I am going to start to write several posts about "you might be an artist if..." and I will tie some of them with paintings done in past years.  I think this could be fun!

Penny For Your Thoughts,
painted in 2016

22" x 28"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame


You might be an artist if you are caught by the color in a gray sky! The other night, my Beloved Husband and I were driving to an appointment, and my attention was definitely more on looking out the window than it was on him (I am sorry to say). I drew a breath and said, "LOOK at the color in that sky!" to which he teasingly replied, "There is no color in that sky. It is just gray clouds." Oh, he knows how to get me going! 

A few times last year, a friend took us out on a pontoon on warm evenings. As the sun was heading in for the night one evening, it went behind clouds, and, again, I was overwhelmed by the color in the sky and clouds. (The grays, muted turquoise, muted peach and oranges, green-whites - I can practically see it now!) Our friend turned to see what I was so enraptured by, and said, "Well, I expected to see something spectacular..." or words to that effect. 

As I spent some time reading in the New Testament the other day, this section caught my imagination and tied in so closely with what I had been thinking about seeing color where some would see only gray. I was thinking about how color itself was created by Jesus Christ, and the fact that He is the embodiment of something (Someone) invisible. It reminds me of abstract paintings where I am trying to put an image to an idea or emotion - trying to represent something invisible. 

Colossians 1:15 - 17 HCSB "He is the image of the invisible God,
the firstborn over all creation.
For everything was created by Him,
in heaven and on earth,
the visible and the invisible,
whether thrones or dominions
or rulers or authorities—
all things have been created through Him and for Him.
He is before all things,
and by Him all things hold together."

And though color in a gray sky is not invisible, many people don't seem to see it! Do you see color where others see only gray? Are you an artist?

Comments