The Light is Already Here

The Light is Already Here
I am interrupting my series on "you might be an artist" because I am so excited to share this new painting that I finished a couple of days ago. I love it, both for the color and movement, and for the thoughts that inspired me to paint it. First, let me share what I wrote to my kids one morning recently:
This morning, the sun was shining on trees in the fence row, lining the southeast edge of each trunk with shining white. Then, as the sun rose higher, the whole south eastern side of the woods was similarly highlighted. Each trunk, branch, leaf and bump of snow was gleaming on one edge. It struck me that, though most of the 10 acres was still in darkness, the sunrise, the light, WAS ALREADY HERE. But the darkened northwest side of the woods couldn’t see it yet. 
Nothing can stop the dawn, though. The light HAS ALREADY CONQUERED the dark. The victory is already won.

Even though it was so cold out that morning, I went outside in my socks to take a couple of photos. I felt that pressure in my chest that means inspiration is pushing me hard to get to the studio! (I love painting all the time, but there is something so exciting about starting a work when you are bursting with inspiration.)

My hope is that you can see the movement, the dark and light trees, and the vitality in this painting. Many of the shapes and edges are more intense and sharp than I often paint. Can you see the connection with the photo of our woods? 

This morning, the concept of light came up when I was reading in the New Testament. Several of the verses seemed to fit perfectly with my thoughts about this painting, and I got all excited about it. 

John 1:4 - 5 "In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."

1 John 1:5-7 "... that God is light, and in Him there is no darkness at all. If we say that we have fellowship with Him and yet walk in the darkness, we lie, and do not practice the truth; but if we walk in the light as He Himself is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus His Son cleanses us from all sin."

1 Thessalonians 5:5 "for you are all sons of light and sons of day. We are not of night, nor of darkness;"

May your day be full of God's light and love!

*This painting is an award winning painting - Clark Gallery's Themed Art Competition, 2018. 

Comments