You might be an artist if #2

You might be an artist if you change your clothes when you either a.) go anywhere outside the studio, because they are paint covered, or b.) find that they match! I know this cannot be a universal case for artists, but I so often read or hear that "every piece of clothing I have has paint on it". And I often find that my art friends have the most colorful and unusual outfits. 

"Your clothes should be the least interesting thing about you," an artist once said. (I just did a quick google search, and found the saying is from a clothing designer who designs for professional corporate settings. The artist must have 'borrowed' that saying.) Some of the artists I most admire dress in only black, or only black and white. I am sure that even for those of us who usually have a bit of paint on our clothes, or who work in the studio by ourselves most days, the simplicity of a good "work uniform" could be very helpful!

NLA
3 each 6" x 6" paintings
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvases




But I have to say, if I look in the mirror and don't see much color, I have to change something - at least add some accessories. And I really want to have some interesting texture or pattern or shape, too. I have found a Swedish designer, Gudrun Sjoden, that I really enjoy along those lines. I love her color, pattern, and bright cheerfulness. In fact, even her black and white and gray designs feel colorful because of good design and shape. There is just something about good design...

I painted these three paintings yesterday, and they are completely different than the work I usually do. I had been looking at some ads and web pages for Gudrun Sjoden, and I felt cheered and inspired by her work. It made me eager to get into the studio and pick up my brush! And working on these paintings was so much fun. 

I hope today you find a way to celebrate color and creativity! 

Numbers 6:24-26 (NASB)
"The Lord bless you, and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine on you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance on you,
And give you peace."


Comments