For Unto Us


For Unto Us
If you follow me on Facebook or Instagram, you have already seen this painting that I finished in mid-December. As I have done in other years, I have taken much of December to prepare for and spend time with family, and also to rethink and give a fresh start to my art pursuits. So I have actually been in the studio some, but you won't see the results right away, necessarily! (Keep an eye open for February, though. I plan to do a 30 paintings in 30 days challenge starting then.)


NFS
12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas,  sides are painted in a shimmery gray/black micaceous iron oxide

This painting is a reworking of an older painting, and I love the way it expresses my thoughts of the season of Advent. I feel like the anticipation and joy came through in the shapes and colors, and it was joyful to work on it, too. 

For this work, I would like to leave you with an ancient carol that I love.

Nativity Poem

Sure ne’er hath been,
Such court’sy seen
‘Mong mortal men. Today
The Omnipotent
His only Son hath sent,
Our ransom for to pay.
Now, since He’s here,
Show your heart’s cheer,
And high content.
Feasting is meet
The little King to greet,
That’s come with us to stay,
Give now your thought and care
Prepare, prepare;
Make ready for your guest.
With finest bread
His table must be spread,
And all your best,
Sweep hearth and floor;
Be all your vessels’ store
Shining and clean.
Then bring the little guest
And give Him of your best
Of meat and drink. Yet more
Ye owe than meat.
One gift at your King’s feet
Lay now. I mean
A heart full to the brim
Of love, and all for Him,
And from all envy clean.

From a thirteenth century Franciscan poet
Translation by Anne Madconell, The Franciscan Poets

Jacopone da Todi (c. 1230 – December 25, 1306)

Comments

  1. This is a beautiful painting. I can feel the joy in it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Janet! I love it when emotion shows up in a painting!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment