Second Sapphire

Second Sapphire
Judging from the research I have done on the sapphire, it is a VERY clear stone - like blue glass. I think a person could look right through it. It seems to have a swirly texture to the fissures, and just a pure, deep blue color. It is beautiful, but tough to represent in an abstract painting! 

Since I am now working through the gemstones that are listed as being in the foundation of the New Jerusalem, I thought I would like to represent the sapphire in a huge, eternal sort of way. I feel like in this little painting, I could look right through the blue sapphire and see the stars and nebulae and distant space. 

Part of piece called Foundation Stones
6" x 6" acrylic on canvas panel 
ready to frame  

I started my day with the privilege of meeting my friend Emma Lou for a visit. (You should meet her - she is a wonderful friend! She invited me to sit on her enclosed patio and watch the rain on the lake. No other friend has ever invited me to do something like that.) We talked about all kinds of things, as we usually do. She is a fascinating person. It was a good start to the day! 

Revelation 21:10-21 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
10 He then carried me away in the Spirit to a great and high mountain and showed me the holy city, Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, 11 arrayed with God’s glory. Her radiance was like a very precious stone,  like a jasper stone, bright as crystal. 12 The city had a massive high wall, with 12 gates. Twelve angels were  at the gates; the names of the 12 tribes of Israel’s sons were inscribed on the gates. 13 There were three  gates on the east, three gates on the north, three gates on the south, and three gates on the west. 14 The  city wall had 12 foundations, and the 12 names of the Lamb’s 12 apostles were on the foundations. 15 The one who spoke with me had a gold measuring rod to measure the city, its gates, and its wall. 16 The city is laid out in a square; its length and width are the same. He measured the city with the rod at 12,000 stadia. Its length, width, and height are equal. 17 Then he measured its wall, 144 cubits according to human measurement, which the angel used. 18 The building material of its wall was jasper, and the city was pure gold like clear glass.
19 The foundations of the city wall were adorned with every kind of precious stone:
the first foundation jasper,
the second sapphire,
the third chalcedony,
the fourth emerald,
20 the fifth sardonyx,
the sixth carnelian,(sardius)
the seventh chrysolite,
the eighth beryl,
the ninth topaz,
the tenth chrysoprase,
the eleventh jacinth,
the twelfth amethyst.
21 The 12 gates are 12 pearls; each individual gate was made of a single pearl. The broad street of the city was pure gold, like transparent glass.

Reference photo for sapphire

Comments