Onyx

Onyx
Today is the first day of the September 2016 30 paintings in 30 days challenge, and I am so excited about it! I haven't had a chance to organize properly yet, (big surprise), but at least I have today's painting done, and I like it and think this will be a really fun series. 

My husband suggested my theme, and I think it is going to be great. I will be painting abstracts based on the precious stones mentioned in the Bible! I chose to start with the onyx stone because it is the first precious stone I found. It appears in Genesis 2:12. It seems to be mentioned more than 10 times in the Bible, and I really love some of the references! As I get more prepared (!), I will write more about them.


Probably my favorite passage that includes the onyx stone is in 
Job 28:12 - 16 “But where can wisdom be found?
And where is the place of understanding?
“Man does not know its value,
Nor is it found in the land of the living.
“The deep says, ‘It is not in me’;
And the sea says, ‘It is not with me.’
“Pure gold cannot be given in exchange for it,
Nor can silver be weighed as its price.
“It cannot be valued in the gold of Ophir,
In precious onyx, or sapphire."


Part of piece called Over His Heart
6" x 6" acrylic on canvas panel  


Gen. 2:10-14 "Now a river flowed out of Eden to water the garden; ... The gold of that land is good; the bdellium and the onyx stone are there. ..."

Comments