Lapis Lazuli

Lapis Lazuli
"Incidentally, when we revised our translation recently we changed 'sapphire' to 'lapis lazuli' throughout the OT," wrote Dave. Giving me an answer to my question about stones in the Bible, he added that tidbit of information which I really appreciated. Dave is a Bible translator and a friend of mine since college days. We got to visit him at work one time, and it was so fascinating to learn about words, origins, alphabets, language styling, and all that goes into an accurate translation. 

"Changing the translation from "sapphire" to "lapis lazuli" was a tough call, since the Hebrew word is 'sappir'. But in Exod 24:10 there is a suggestion that the stone is blue, and in Job 28:6 it has gold (or pyrite) inclusions, which is common with lapis," he added. 

Part of piece called Over His Heart
6" x 6" acrylic on canvas panel 
ready to frame
 


Now that is information I can work (play) with! I have been looking forward to painting this stone, because it is one that I find especially pleasing.  I had all kinds of images in my mind as I read the note from Dave, and could hardly wait to get my hands dirty. 

Exodus 24:10 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
10 and they saw the God of Israel. Beneath His feet was something like a pavement made of sapphire[a] stone, as clear as the sky itself.
Footnotes:
Exodus 24:10 Or lapis lazuli


Job 28:6 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
Its rocks are a source of sapphire,[a] containing flecks of gold.
Footnotes:
Job 28:6 Or lapis lazuli

Job 28:6 (Amplified Bible)
6 “Its stones are the bed of sapphires;
It holds dust of gold.
Amplified Bible (AMP)


Ezekiel 1:26 (Holman Christian Standard Bible)
26 The shape of a throne with the appearance of sapphire[a] stone was above the expanse. There was a form with the appearance of a human on the throne high above.
Footnotes:
Ezekiel 1:26 Or lapis lazuli

Ezekiel 1:26 (Amplified Bible)
26 Now above the expanse that was over their heads there was something resembling a throne, it appeared like [it was made of] sapphire or lapis lazuli; and [seated] on that which looked like a throne, high up, was a figure with the appearance of a man.

Reference photo for lapis lazuli

(By the way, my husband has suggested that I include some of the photos that have inspired my paintings in my blog for comparison's sake, so I will start today, and will try to go back and add more.)

Comments