I'll Fly Away

I'll Fly Away
If you have been reading my blog or newsletter for very long, you have heard me talk about my dad. When I was young, my dad came just slightly below God in the order of things. You probably wouldn't have known it, though, since I would fight some of his standards with all of my might. But I knew (and was secretly grateful) that he wouldn't bend or break under my onslaught. Dad loved God, then Mom, and then "us kids" and aviation were pretty much tied for third place with him. (Not really.) I loved him with all of my heart, and my happy memories of him are such bright spots in my life!


11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

Comment for more info or to purchase

At Dad's funeral in August 2000, the organist played "I'll Fly Away" at the end of the service as part of the postlude. None of us in the family knew it was coming, but we knew it was fitting. Click here for Johnny Cash singing I'll Fly Away.  Pardon me while I share a part of an earlier blog post I wrote about Dad. "I am so thankful for my dad. The most significant things in my life are things that he lived, and I picked up through his example. I learned to fly, and to see the clouds as playgrounds that are unadulterated by human interference. I learned what a loving family and home life looks like. And most significantly, I learned to be a follower of Jesus Christ."

Some glad morning when this life is o'er, 
I'll fly away; 
To a home on God's celestial shore, 
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

Chorus: 
I'll fly away, Oh Glory 
I'll fly away; (in the morning) 
When I die, Hallelujah, by and by, 
I'll fly away (I'll fly away).

When the shadows of this life have gone, 
I'll fly away; 
Like a bird from prison bars has flown, 
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

Just a few more weary days and then, 
I'll fly away; 
To a land where joy shall never end, 
I'll fly away (I'll fly away)

1 Thessalonians 4:17 (HCSB) Then we who are still alive will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air and so we will always be with the Lord.

P.S. Can you see the clouds and the blue sky, the runway and instruments, the sunshine in this painting?



Comments

  1. A dear, dear friend and mentor who died from a weird lung disease, passed on to glory singing this song with her husband on a Sunday morning. I'll always think of her flying away when I hear this song. It makes me glad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry for your loss, and yet I understand the sweet memory.

      Delete

Post a Comment