Encamps - Vintage Collection

Encamps, 2015
Encamps, 2015, Vintage Collection 

Stop! Before reading any further, take a minute to look at this painting from 2015, and try to understand or feel something from it.

As I often do, I turned to google for my preliminary research before starting this post. I just want to be sure that I am not misrepresenting something or unconsciously plagiarizing from someone. When I looked at an image search for the word “encamps”, I found a lot of images that all had words on them. So. Many. Words. I did not notice any images of artwork that did not contain words. 


22" x 28"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame
Click here to purchase via my website.

Framed Encamps with steps
Yesterday, my friend and fellow artist, Sandi, took me to get coffee for my upcoming birthday. What a treat! We had such good conversation, and the coffee and pumpkin bar were good too. (By the way, she and her husband picked out a fabulous birthday card for me  containing an “artistic license” that was just perfect. And hilarious.) One of the many things we talked about over our coffee was my blogging about my art, and abstract art compared with representational art. I like to think of my blogging as offering a bridge to people who have no idea how to begin with abstract art – giving them a window on some of my thoughts and processes. Of course, I don't write everything that I have worked through as I paint, and I hope that those who look see more in my work than I have given them in words. I want people to see the painting, like it (hopefully), feel something from it, and maybe get an ‘aha’ moment when they read my posting. 

But I don’t want to put words on my work. At least, not often. One of the art concepts I have picked up on since attending an artist workshop/retreat with Makoto Fujimura a while back is the idea of “500 year art” – making art that has the potential to still move people 500 years from now. Along with standing the test of time, I would also like to have the potential to be meaningful to people for whom English is not their mother tongue. 

So, if I give you the verse from the Psalms that I focused on while painting this piece, what do you see/feel from the painting? Does it speak to you before I put the words with it? 

Psalm 34:7 "The angel of the Lord encamps around those who fear Him, and rescues them."

Click here for original blog post.  

Comments