Lake Ice

Lake Ice
"Did you hear that? Maybe we should go back." "Don't be silly - it's over four feet thick here." "Yeah, but that cracking and booming..."

My husband and I were going for a walk in the COLD on a frozen Minnesota lake. You would think I would be the brave one, since I lived on a lake in Minnesota for my high school years, but my Hoosier husband was the sensible one. After all, 15" is enough ice to be safe for a medium sized pick-up truck! We were on 4' of clear, solid black ice, with no snow cover.

Sold
10 x 10 acrylic on watercolor paper, mounted on cradled panel
ready to hang or frame
I was thinking of this scenario when I was choosing my painting theme today. I wanted to convey the depth and interest of looking through all of that clear ice to the deep, black water below. 

I was, in fact, completely safe. The ice could have held a pile of pachyderms. But I allowed myself to look around, look down, listen to the sounds that echoed on that quiet, cold lake, and become fearful.

It reminds me of Peter who climbed out of the boat to join Jesus walking on water (not ice!) and lost his nerve. I think Jesus was glad to share the fun experience of walking on the water - what an adventure! And I bet both Jesus and Peter had huge grins - if they weren't laughing - while Peter watched Jesus. But when he looked around, he sank. Taking his eyes off of Jesus in stormy conditions proved to be a dangerous lack of faith. What a lesson for me! May I keep my eyes on Jesus, no matter WHAT storm I am walking in!

Matthew 14:28-31 (New American Standard Bible) Peter said to Him, “Lord, if it is You, command me to come to You on the water.” And He said, “Come!” And Peter got out of the boat, and walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But seeing the wind, he became frightened, and beginning to sink, he cried out, “Lord, save me!” Immediately Jesus stretched out His hand and took hold of him, and *said to him, “You of little faith, why did you doubt?” 

Comments