Jonah

Jonah
Today is day four of the 30 day painting challenge that I am doing along with a BUNCH of other artists. Although I am unable to paint every day, I am enjoying being part of the challenge, and seeing the work of a lot of other artists. 

This painting is based on Jonah 1:4 and 2:3, which speaks of stormy seas. I have never been on the ocean during a storm, so I did some google research to see what it might look like. I watched some videos and looked at some photos, and started to feel a little seasick. (Well, maybe not really. ;) ) 

One thing I noticed is that the horizon is always changing during a storm at sea - it is not 'horizontal' very often. I would think that that is one of the more disconcerting parts of being there. Also, it is dark and difficult to distinguish the difference between sky and water. While I don't want to try to represent a storm realistically, I do hope to represent the unsettling feeling - maybe even the fear of being there. 

Jonah 1:4 (NASB) The Lord hurled a great wind on the sea and there was a great storm on the sea so that the ship was about to break up.

Jonah 2:3 (NASB) “For You had cast me into the deep,
Into the heart of the seas,
And the current engulfed me.

All Your breakers and billows passed over me."


8" x 10" acrylic on watercolor paper

 

Comments

  1. This is a great interpretation of a storm a sea! I've been tossed about on a cruise ship in 20 foot waves. It's awesome and scary. That's what your painting looks like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - that is definitely what I was going for! I have started a bigger version of it too... not sure how that will work, but it will sure be fun to try!

      Delete

Post a Comment