Hebrews

Hebrews
This painting seems almost like a piece of jewelry! The textures and colors are exhilarating, and the sparkle of natural mica and iridescent accent paint make me want to look at this one over and over again. In fact, usually I blog with my painting on the easel behind me, but today I brought it over to my desk to look at. :)

The New Testament book of Hebrews has held my attention for the last couple of days, and I am attempting to represent some of the things I love about this book. I love the complexity of the writing style of the author, and the contrast of the way things were before Christ, the Messiah, and after He died and rose again. I love the ideas of growth, strength, royalty and humanity.

Gel and modeling compounds, along with heavy gesso make up the first layers of texture, and hold the first of the natural mica flakes. Though it is difficult to see here, the colors blend together to make a rich third color. I used gloss medium to affix another layer of mica flakes before adding the more detailed brush work.

I was concerned that it would be difficult to make my white acrylic fluid enough to flow off my brush while maintaining the opacity of the paint, but I remembered (woo-hoo!) that I brought some Golden Fluid Acrylic white paint home from the AOC trade show, and it worked splendidly! It has such a high pigment load, and it was a pleasure to use in this application. 

I sure do love to paint! 

SOLD
8" x 10"  mixed media on watercolor paper.

Comments