'Tis of Thee

'Tis of Thee
This evening I am listening to fireworks in my neighborhood as I type. My hope for this painting was to celebrate Independence Day here in the United States, but it has been a difficult painting and a difficult time trying to get a good photograph. I guess I should not be surprised. It has been a difficult year, hasn't it?

This painting started out as a red, white, and blue painting, but quickly started changing! I used three different interference paints, red, blue, and gold, which are iridescent and show up differently under different lights. But because of that, I lost the colors I was chasing, so I have many, many layers of paint. One thing I like about the layering and different kinds of paint is the feeling that the painting has a history. The colors are deep and each layer impacts the layers yet to come.  I definitely feel that the layers of history in our nation are impacting what is yet to come here too. 

I am thankful for the country in which I live, and am grateful for the freedoms we enjoy. I am glad that I am a citizen here. You might see me tear up when I stand for the national anthem or watch a parade or fireworks display. 

SOLD
11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

As I think of both the history of my nation, and the future, which seems more unpredictable than ever, I am reminded of verses from the Bible that give me insight. I recognize that as a nation, we are on the brink of making many decisions that are not what God blesses, but I also pray for the blessing of God on my homeland. 

Micah 6:8 (NASB)
He has told you, O man, what is good;
I like it sideways, too
And what does the Lord require of you
But to do justice, to love kindness,
And to walk humbly with your God?


Psalm 33:12 Blessed is the nation whose God is the Lord,
The people whom He has chosen for His own inheritance.

While these verses do not directly apply to the USA, I think the principles are evident. Even when I fear that my nation is not choosing what God would direct, still my hope is in Him. 

Psalm 33:20 - 22 Our soul waits for the Lord;
He is our help and our shield.
For our heart rejoices in Him,
Because we trust in His holy name.
Let Your lovingkindness, O Lord, be upon us,
According as we have hoped in You.

Comments