As In a Mirror

Lately I have been reading the poetic and timely New Testament book of 2 Corinthians, and I am finding so many things to think about and paint! I actually have several works in progress again. 

This evening I am sharing a portion of a self portrait that I painted yesterday. I was thinking about this verse when I decided to try a selfie, so to speak. 
2 Corinthians 3:18 We all, with unveiled faces, are looking as in a mirror at the glory of the Lord and are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory; this is from the Lord who is the Spirit.

I was thinking that probably in that day a mirror was a highly polished piece of metal, and one's reflection couldn't be seen as clearly as we see ourselves today.

All of the paint on this portrait is metallic. Even the thick, blackish paint is an oxide with sparkle in it. As I have mentioned before, I use the iridescent paint to remind me of GOD, so why did I use it in my self portrait? Well, 2 Corinthians 3:18 says I am being transformed. Another verse that speaks to this is 
1 John 3:2 Dear friends, we are God’s children now, and what we will be has not yet been revealed. We know that when He appears, we will be like Him because we will see Him as He is. Some days, I am especially eager to be transformed and be more like Jesus! 

I used an old painting that was damaged beyond repair for the substrate for this one. I feel like having an old something that is beyond repair and transforming it into an image is a great picture (pun only sort of intended) of what happens with me. 

In order to paint it, I gathered my tools, and set up a small mirror on my drafting table in front of me and began to concentrate on the shapes in the mirror that are familiar, and yet not. When my daughter asked "Why are you so sad?", I mentioned that concentration. Have you noticed how often other artists' self portraits have very serious facial expressions?

While this painting is a weak expression of transformation and Christlikeness, and even of me, it is a great reminder to me. My hope is in GOD, and someday, I will be transformed to be like Him! I can hardly wait!

Comments