Make Yourself Homely



Make Yourself Homely
"Make yourself homely," my Beloved Husband likes to say when welcoming guests to our home. (Make yourself at home might sound more familiar!) He likes to play with words; can you tell? He is such a friendly, outgoing person and he absolutely loves guests. Somehow it seems like we rarely have time for company, but he would be with friends every day if he could, I think.

"Stay home, stay safe" the current phrase reads. Now that our state is nearly completely open, I am thinking back on the days when staying home was mandated for our area, and the impacts that had (in smaller ways) on people. We had to learn to do without the high octane entertainments, and constant motion, and new and exciting venues. It reminds me of something I read in a small book I bought many years ago, almost by accident, called Joy Breaks. Joy Breaks is a compilation of short writings by four authors, one of whom is Luci Swindoll. I found that I really enjoy her writing, and one article in particular has come back to me frequently over the years. She titled it "Enough is Enough", and it encouraged staying home occasionally and using the resources there instead of going out to restaurants, theaters, museums, etc. I loved the article, and put it into practice myself when I had free time (!) by reading books I own, doing projects or crafts, listening to my music collection, etc. Luci's story was of entertaining a friend by staying in. What a great idea!

12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

I chose to paint with mostly green and purple in this painting. These colors might be "home" colors to me. I love seeing them in wild flowers. I just love seeing them together. 

There are a few areas in the painting where lines contain an area, and these places remind me of homeliness - people staying in and being content with what they have. But they are also all connected by line. I cannot really do any better explaining my thoughts, so I hope the painting itself is speaking to you! (By the way, this painting is truly green, not blue. It looks pretty good on some of my screens, and awful on others!)

Luci referenced 1 Timothy 6:6-8 But godliness with contentment is great gain, for we brought nothing into the world, and we cannot take anything out of the world. But if we have food and clothing, with these we will be content.


I also thought of Philippians 4:11 - 13 Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.

I am afraid I am not always content like the Apostle Paul was, but I aspire to be at peace and happy with what God provides. It is always more than enough. 

Comments