Provision

Provision
"How do you start a painting?" This is one variation of the question that I hear most. "Do you know what you are going to paint, or do you just start?" I have touched on this in this blog before, but I think this painting is a particularly good one to use to describe one of the ways paintings take shape in my studio. 

SOLD
30" x 30" painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5" deep, gallery wrapped  canvas

Click here to view on my website. 

Occasionally I "see" a painting in my head before I ever touch my supplies, and this is one of those works. The shapes and colors were there from the start, and I knew what the general concept would be, too. I suppose sometimes my subconscious mind is finding creative expressions while I work on other things, like homemaking. I knew that this work would be largely red-orange with a light, contained shape and a darker edge right from the first, and I knew that "provision" was the theme, though I could not have articulated how the two fit together.

I have been reading in the New Testament book of Matthew, and have noticed over and over in the story of Jesus how GOD's provision is evident. I particularly noticed Jesus' miracles of healing the sick and feeding the hungry. In two instances when Jesus fed large crowds, there were large baskets of food left over, and the shape in this painting began to remind me of a basket. 

This morning, I read how Jesus met a monetary need for Himself and Peter, His follower, with a coin found in the mouth of a fish. This provision was the one that helped me find the last needed elements to finish the painting. I feel that the fish's mouth, the coin, the basket and grain, water, need and provision are all represented. 



Matthew 17:24-27 (ESV)
24 When they came to Capernaum, the collectors of the two-drachma tax went up to Peter and said, “Does your teacher not pay the tax?” He said, “Yes.” And when he came into the house, Jesus spoke to him first, saying, “What do you think, Simon? From whom do kings of the earth take toll or tax? From their sons or from others?” And when he said, “From others,” Jesus said to him, “Then the sons are free. However, not to give offense to them, go to the sea and cast a hook and take the first fish that comes up, and when you open its mouth you will find a shekel. Take that and give it to them for me and for yourself.”

Comments