Satisfied

Satisfied

'Satisfied' is the next in my paintings based on the Sermon on the Mount in the New Testament book of Matthew. 

I chose to use warm colors with the idea of warmth and comfort. I guess that is what seems satisfying to me while we are in a particularly cold and snowy winter here in the Midwest! 

I wanted to communicate both the idea of reaching upward and of flowing downward at the same time. My favorite compositional framework, too, seemed to fit well with the idea of hungering and thirsting for righteousness. 

I like that there is a lot of room to play around with layering, splattering, removing color, glazing, sgrafitto, and just enjoying the characteristics of the paint in this painting. 

The painting is on an 11" x 14" watercolor paper, and the image is about 9.5" x 12.5". 

Matthew 5:6 (NASB) “Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied."

Or in another version: Matthew 5:6 (AMP) "Blessed and fortunate and happy and spiritually prosperous (in that state in which the born-again child of God enjoys His favor and salvation) are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness (uprightness and right standing with God), for they shall be completely satisfied!"

(By the way, this painting reminds me of the paintings I did in a workshop offered by Carol Nelson, an artist who's work I really admire. This one is not done with the techniques I learned from her though.)



11" x 14" acrylic on watercolor paper

Comments