Peacemakers

Peacemakers
As I continued with my self-assigned project of painting the 'Blessed' parts from the Sermon on the mount, I arrived at this one: Matthew 5:9 (NASB) “Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God." I am not sure why, but this has never been a favorite with me. Maybe because I am an oldest child? (Bossy, maybe?) So it was a challenge for me to express the idea at first. 

In this painting, the red and green are complementary colors on opposite sides of the painting. "When placed next to each other, [complementary colors] create the strongest contrast..." according to Wikipedia. I think of these colors as complete opposites, fighting with each other. The introduction of the yellow between them is intended to communicate a dissimilar concept entirely; something that unifies or consolidates the whole. The 'peace' in the painting is brought about by moving the focus from the opposing points to a clear, new position. 

Another version of the verse looks like this: Matthew 5:9 (AMP) Blessed (enjoying enviable happiness, spiritually prosperous— with life-joy and satisfaction in God’s favor and salvation, regardless of their outward conditions) are the makers and maintainers of peace, for they shall be called the sons of God!

SOLD
6" x 6" acrylic on 1.5" deep canvas, sides painted black
 

Comments