Comfort

Comfort
I have given myself a series to work on based on the Sermon on the Mount found in the New Testament book of Matthew. This is the second "blessed" given there, but the third of my paintings. 

Matthew 5:4 (NASB)

“Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted."

I had a tougher time coming up with the concept for this painting, but the other morning I realized that tears would be a powerful expression of mourning, so I attempted to communicate that with my paint. Then for the idea of comfort, I wanted a rocking or cradling concept. I chose warm colors to indicate comfort, and cool ones for the mourning teardrops. (Even though at times, mourning can feel blistering hot!)

As I talked to my husband that morning about the concepts for this painting, he was saying something about 'blessed' meaning lucky or fortunate. At first, I could not follow his thoughts at all. But then I recognized the idea of being in an enviable place in life. It still seems like that could NOT be what was meant here, but, after all, I think it was! Many of Jesus' teachings seemed crazy to people of His day, and I bet this was one of them. 

Here is the verse in another version: Matthew 5:4 Amplified Bible (AMP) Blessed and enviably happy [with a happiness produced by the experience of God’s favor and especially conditioned by the revelation of His matchless grace] are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted!


6" x 6" acrylic on watercolor paper


 

Comments

  1. In our Pastor's recent teaching on the beatitudes he suggested that the mourning could be over one's shortcomings and sins; when we realize how much we fall short of God's perfection.
    Another thought I had was that of a bed comforter which we wrap around ourselves.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment