Advent Tree

Advent Tree

 Yesterday I went out for a walk before the sun came up. It was so pleasant to get back in the woods in the almost-morning-light, and by the time I started toward the house 
the sun came up. I heard some odd noises as I walked, and I think I interrupted a squabble between a raccoon and an opossum

As I neared the house, a little tree we planted caught my eye. I am sure it was only a year ago or so that we planted the little twig, but the tree is the same height as me. How does that happen? I loved the sparkle of frost on the grass around the tree, and on the bluish-greenish-gray needles. The light coming from behind the tree caught my attention too. 


6" x 6"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black


So THIS morning, I painted before breakfast (and before sunrise, I think). I really wanted to capture some of the beauty of this tree. 

And, I think the waiting for the light really caught my imagination, too. It made me think of all the ways we are waiting for the light now. We are waiting for the pandemic to pass. We are waiting for life to return to normal. We are waiting for all of the shouting and political and social upheaval to be over. We are waiting for peace on earth, good will to men. 


O Come, O Come Emmanuel
click here for original blog or to purchase



Since I have been sharing some of my work that has kind of disappeared from view lately, this painting called O Come, O Come Emmanuel came to mind, and I shared it via social media. Do you remember seeing this painting from 2017?


22" x 28" painted with the finest quality (artist's) acrylic heavy-body paint, on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

Click photo caption to purchase.   

In my mind, this painting also expresses the feeling of waiting for the light to arrive. 

Matthew 1:23 “Behold, the virgin shall be with child and shall bear a Son, and they shall call His name Immanuel,” which translated means, “God with us.”

O Come, O Come Emmanuel, detail

O Come, O Come Emmanuel with hand


Comments