Hoosier Harvest

 Early during the harvest season this year, I was driving home from an art event as evening approached, and I saw the scene that inspired Hoosier Harvest. Here in northern Indiana, one is never very far from a field of corn. I was on the freeway, but saw a darkening field of corn with lights from a tractor or pickup truck lighting up the barn at the edge of the field. Obviously, I didn't have time to stop to study the scene, or even to take a photo, since I was driving full speed toward home. But the scene made an impression in my memory and I wanted to try to capture the feeling of warmth that I found in that moment. 

36" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on canvas
Framed

This work is quite different from my usual style, and because it is painted on a linen, regular depth canvas, I will probably be framing it before long. 

Does this painting remind you of someone or of another time? I have never lived on a farm, though I have almost always lived in the country. I never remember having a real barn (other than on a place that my Beloved Husband and I rented early in our marriage) in any of the places that I have lived, and there were quite a few different places! Even though I find these buildings aesthetically pleasing, my guess would be that there is a deeper connection with a barn in a person who has lived and worked on a real live farm. 

Comments