The Journey

The Journey

 For my last painting post of 2021, I want to share this abstracted landscape painting. I finished it right before Christmas, but just like many of you, I have been preparing for and spending time with family celebrating Jesus' birth, and the close of this year and beginning of the next. I have enjoyed focusing on them instead of my computer for the last little while. 

There have been quite a few surprising bumps along the way in this last couple of weeks as well. I have three family members dealing with health concerns, and we are still planning to visit some family in another state. I hope the weather is better than what has been predicted for our drive! 

12" x 12"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

I finished another painting, too, right before Christmas, but haven't yet shared it. I guess it will be my first post in 2022. This smaller painting served as a study for that one, (but you would never know it by looking) because I wanted to see how certain colors interacted with each other. The entire work has an iridescent copper background with other iridescent layers on top of that, and also, of course, blue. 

The shine of these paints and the texture of the whole work are a good metaphor of the year we are moving out of - both the shining moments of God's presence (which is under and through everything), and the rough, earthy daily walk through each week. Maybe the hopeful journey of the next year is indicated, too, with the distant shapes and brightness on the horizon. 

As Jesus was about to return to His heavenly home, and was giving His disciples last words to live by as they walked into the new time without His physical presence, He encouraged them this way: 

Matthew 28:16 - 20 But the eleven disciples proceeded to Galilee, to the mountain which Jesus had designated. When they saw Him, they worshiped Him; but some were doubtful. And Jesus came up and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.

As I write this, I pray that you, my friends, will welcome Jesus' presence in your life, and will be comforted by knowing that He is always with you. 

Coram Deo.

Comments