Peach Tree

Peach Tree

 I hadn't quite decided whether to do this little representational piece, but this morning, after cleaning my brushes (more on that in a minute), I just sort of found myself painting! I have been considering doing a small series of some of my favorite trees on these small canvases, and today I just jumped in and started. 

This is painted from a photo of our ancient peach tree, taken in the spring time, at least a year ago. Last year a powerful storm came through and a huge limb broke from the tree. Now it is a small, crooked shade of what it once was. We hope that it will still be able to produce peaches, because the peaches from this tree are delicious! 

6" x 6"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas, collaged paper

If I continue with this whimsical series of trees, I may need to look for some of the new-but-not-yet-in-use paintbrushes I have set aside. As I cleaned the brushes which work so beautifully for my abstract paintings, it was easy to see that they are no longer cut out for representational work. The hairs are curled at the ends, some are cut to uneven lengths, and most have been smashed and overloaded  and mistreated. Normally, I love using these broken in, broken down brushes and value the slightly unpredictable edges they give. In fact, I would consider them to be my most valuable brushes. 


The Bible passage that is collaged on this canvas contains this verse:
Romans 8:35 Who will separate us from Christ's love? Affliction? Or distress? Or persecution? Or famine? Or destitution? Or danger? Or sword? 
I wanted to use the broken peach tree in this context because I thought, if that tree were a person, she might need the answer to her question. Now that I am broken, will I be separated from the love of Christ? 

A couple of verses later, the answer comes, Romans 8:37 No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. 

We hope our little old tree survives. At least at this point, she will survive on this small canvas.  She may never quite look the same, but then, which of us would after going through the storms of affliction, distress, and danger? 

Coram Deo. 


Comments