Kintsugi Blue

Kintsugi Blue


I am excited to share this new painting - it is my best painting ever! Of course, I think that about every new painting I do... or at least many of them! 

There is so much packed into this painting. I blogged about some of the influences and one of the early layers on the painting here. There are shattered treasures and broken hearts, tears and loss and shadows. But there is also light and beauty. 

In that last blog post, I mentioned the concept of kintsugi, which is a Japanese technique of mending ancient tea ware or other items by putting the pieces back together and adding gold. This repair then makes an item that is more beautiful and valuable than the original. 

There is another Japanese term, wabi-sabi, which references appreciation for imperfection. (If any of my readers are more fluent in these terms and traditions, please forgive my minimal knowledge!) I find both of these concepts appealing, and feel like both apply to more than tea ware! 

20" x 20"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas

Psalm 51:17
The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit; A broken and a contrite heart, God, You will not despise.

Psalm 34:18
The Lord is near to the brokenhearted And saves those who are crushed in spirit.

Ecclesiastes 12:6-7 Remember your Creator before the silver cord is broken and the golden bowl is crushed, the pitcher by the spring is shattered and the wheel at the cistern is crushed; then the dust will return to the earth as it was, and the spirit will return to God who gave it.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10 And He has said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness.” Most gladly, therefore, I will rather boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may dwell in me. Therefore I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in distresses, in persecutions, in difficulties, in behalf of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.

I find such hope in my Creator, who can take His broken child, and in fact all of His broken, imperfect creation, and bring about beauty and wholeness and blessing. 

Comments