Broken

Broken

 Several months ago, I entered a painting contest hosted by my favorite art supply source, Jerry's Artarama. I was so excited to see that my painting had won first prize, and I received a gift card to Jerry's. Woot! A kid in a candy store could not be more excited than I was to spend that award on new art supplies that I had not yet tried. 

One of the things I ordered was a box of canvases that are thicker and of a different shape than I have worked on before. When the box arrived, it had been crushed, and one of the canvases was damaged beyond usefulness. Or at least, I thought so at the time. (Just so you know, Jerry's was more than generous in replacing the broken canvas!) 

48" x 18"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.8125” deep gallery wrapped canvas (that is broken)

"Why don't you paint on that one the way it is? It might be interesting." My Beloved Husband saw the potential of that canvas before I did. 

Having just painted my painting about kintsugi, you might have thought that I would have seen the connection, but it did take me a little bit. I felt a little like I was painting myself - mainly in that my plan was to make this broken thing beautiful, just like the Master Artist is making me into exactly what He wants me to be. 

The painting came easily on this canvas. I guess I was thinking, "What can go wrong? It is already broken..." So I was very free to manipulate the colors and make them flow. It was delightful to add the gold accents and the crushed mica flakes that represent God's work, and my own crushed 'treasures' and expectations. 





Psalm 51:17 The sacrifice pleasing to God is a broken spirit.
God, You will not despise a broken and humbled heart.

2 Corinthians 12:9 But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is perfected in weakness.” Therefore, I will most gladly boast all the more about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may reside in me.

2 Corinthians 4:7 But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.

2 Corinthians 4:17 For our momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison




Comments