Remember

"Somehow I didn't realize that picking you up at 10:30 meant getting home at 2:30, and 3 hours' sleep until time to get up!" I said to my Beloved Husband. We had such a late night last night. Today seemed a little rough, as you might imagine. But while on the road yesterday, I was listening to a favorite podcast, Art and Faith Conversations. One of the artists who was interviewed spoke of working very early in the morning while his brain was still tired. He said he thought it allowed for more intuitive work. 

I didn't start particularly early today, but BOY was my brain tired! And all of me! I started working on a painting on my table, but it would not behave. At all. So I just grabbed a small piece of paper that I have been embellishing, and started painting.

Sold2.5" x 3"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper

Family memories, loss, and dementia were on my mind, and as I intentionally started painting this small face fading into the backdrop, I saw my own family members appearing. I have quite a few family members who resemble my paternal grandmother, Glenna.  Glenna had dementia when she died, and I felt like this work illustrates that condition. My dear Aunt Barb was definitely a beauty like her mother. When she passed away, she was not suffering from this dreaded condition, thankfully. The painting looks a little bit like her, too. I called this tiny portrait Remember, both with the idea of remembering my family members who have passed away, and with the idea of memories fading in cases of dementia. And I painted it completely from memory. In fact, the resemblance really surprised me!


Sometimes, it seems, even abstract artists paint representationally to express something. 


Ephesians 6:2 Honor your father and mother... 

Comments