What Was I Thinking?

What Was I Thinking?

 This daily painting practice has been so good for me, though if I am honest, it has produced a painting or two that I am less than proud of. I have been practicing with a particular set of colors, painting on an easel with limited space and tools, and working with different compositions - all intentionally to reacquaint myself with these things, and prepare for demonstrating what has almost become second nature to me. That means painting with other people in the room, and talking at the same time! What was I thinking when I agreed to do this again? (I have actually enjoyed these kinds of opportunities in the past, and it is really, really good for me to get back at it...) 

11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

An overbalanced, almost threatening composition was my starting point with this painting (which I have to say has turned out beautifully!). I like this composition, though it sometimes gets itself to a different place than I had intended. I chose it in part in response to the many things that have distracted and pushed me, drawing me away from faith and peace. There seems to be an almost constant struggle to keep my mind in the right place, and I was impacted by two verses in my reading that both touched on this. 

From the Old Testament, David wrote this prayer in 
Psalm 139:23-24 
Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.

From the New Testament, a "verse of the day" on my Bible app was a long time favorite of mine that reminds me what I should think about instead of anxious thoughts:
Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things.

I look forward to continuing with at least a few more daily paintings as I prepare, but I am getting more and more eager to work on some larger works again. See you again soon!

Comments