A Big Hug

A Big Hug


 "How about Plot Twist?" I have been wanting to have a name for the solo exhibit that I am privileged to share, and I keep trying to come up with just the right name. I often have the same problem with naming paintings, as you know if you have followed me for very long. 

NLA
11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

A Big Hug is the second of my return-to-daily paintings. I am doing more of these in preparation for a demonstration and presentation of my art which will be happening next month. Lately I have been working mostly on larger, more involved paintings which I do love, but it has been fun and freeing to return to these small "alla prima" paintings. 

Part of this daily process, for me, involves deciding quickly what I want to paint about, and how to present it in a way that is accessible for those who look at my work. Today's inspiration comes from my Bible reading this morning in Psalm 139. 

Psalm 139:4-6  Before a word is on my tongue,
You know all about it, Lord.
You have encircled me;
You have placed Your hand on me.
This extraordinary knowledge is beyond me.
It is lofty; I am unable to reach it.

This is a favorite psalm for a lot of people, but the verses I chose to work from are not the ones that are most commonly mentioned from this chapter. I found connection with these verses as I pictured my loving Heavenly Father encircling me, or as it is phrased in the New American Standard Bible, You have enclosed me behind and before, and laid Your hand upon me. I have a note in my Bible from one of the times I have read this which says "like a hug". I think I find comfort in God's presence and knowledge of me kind of like the psalmist David did, and I wanted to represent that today. 

The concept that comes to the forefront is the use of curves and circles in the composition as a way of showing life and, of course, encircling like a hug! Also, I chose to use analogous colors for warmth, closeness and comfort. I love (though it is difficult to see in the photo) the interaction of all of these transparent colors that work together so well. I enjoy the constant movement and liveliness of the composition, too. 

So, I am still not sure whether I will call my solo exhibit Plot Twist, though it does fit in a lot of ways! I will share some photos from the exhibition, and hope to see you there if you are local.





 



Comments