Ebb and Flow

Ebb and Flow

This painting started out as a daily painting, following all of the rules that I had set for myself, but I just could not make it into something I liked. So today I decided to see whether I could make it more pleasing. It has become so colorful, and when I saw the photo icons of it on my phone, the painting reminded me of Van Gogh's Starry Night. Can you see that in the flow of the painting? 

Even after only a weekend, getting back into painting seems to be more difficult. I find that at the end of my work week in the studio, I usually have about four paintings in my head that I am eager to continue with, but by the beginning of the next week, I am dredging my mind for ideas. I have lost the flow of my work in the days full of different responsibilities. 

Sold
11" x 14"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame

One good thing that is coming from these smaller works is the revisiting of the basics. I am looking again at which compositions communicate particular ideas, and making sure my colors cooperate and that I have line and repetition and balance in my pieces. I think it is always helpful to review principles that keep the work strong. 


You know, I also need daily renewal with my loving Heavenly Father. I find that when I have not spent time with Him - time in prayer and in contemplating His words - I lose the ebb and flow of hearing His voice throughout my work day. I need to review and renew in my time before Him. 

Coram Deo. 

Psalm 143: 10 
"Teach me to do your will, for you are my God!
Let your good Spirit lead me on level ground!"

Comments