Childlike

Childlike

This yellow painting is simple, but busy. It is cheerful, and yet parts are subtle - so much so that I couldn't capture them on this photo.  It is also a playful size. The shapes and colors are bold and interactive with each other, and connected but also separated by the white lines that have been added. 

SOLD
12" x 36"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.75” deep gallery wrapped canvas

This long weekend, my roles were those of wife, daughter, aunt, great-aunt (!), driver, navigator, and a few more similar things - not artist. We took the long weekend to drive to visit my mother in beautiful Minnesota. Even though they have had a drought there much of the year, there was so much beauty to feast our eyes on! The traffic was, well, less pleasant, but at least on our way home it was not quite as bad as we had anticipated. 

One special treat was meeting my 2 week old great niece for the first time. She is not yet 6 pounds, and it is just incredible to me that such a tiny (beautiful) creature is a complete person! I was so taken by her tiny hands and her struggles to find her mama when she was hungry. 



Of course, global news was part of the conversations over this weekend. I noticed a lot of people that seemed uncertain and uncomfortable with masks and social distancing, especially in rest areas along the freeway.  News of atrocities, disasters, and personal loss brought so much sadness in our family interactions. 

You know who was untouched by these concerns? My great-nieces and great nephews. When they felt uncomfortable, (the youngest ones didn't remember us), they stayed close to daddy. Most of the time they played and scrambled and colored and crawled up in laps to be read to. 

This morning, reading from the Psalms during my quiet time, I came to Psalm 131. The previous two chapters are the cry of the psalmist when he is under attack, and when he calls on the Lord for help. But Psalm 131! I felt my soul relaxing as I read.

Psalm 131
Lord, my heart is not proud;
my eyes are not haughty.
I do not get involved with things
too great or too difficult for me.
Instead, I have calmed and quieted myself
like a little weaned child with its mother;
I am like a little child.
Israel, put your hope in the Lord,
both now and forever.

I found so much comfort today, being near and listening to my heavenly Father. I hope you can draw close to him and rest too. 

Comments