Paintings about the Inklings - J R R Tolkien

Painting based on Leaf by Niggle
I have recently started following a gallery on line who is planning an exhibit based on the Inklings, a group of writers including J. R. R. Tolkien.  As I read more about the Inklings, I found that they were especially interested in works of fiction as a means to communicate truth. Armed with that thought, I chose to begin several paintings based on works of fiction by Inklings authors. 

J. R. R. Tolkien is the second of the Inklings whose work I have chosen to represent with an abstract painting. I chose a short story, Leaf by Niggle, which I think EVERYONE should read. It is particularly poignant for people who work in the arts, but all could enjoy it! Niggle is a man who will be going on a journey that he should prepare for. He also wants to paint a great picture, and he tries to work on it regularly, but is interrupted by many things. The struggle to prioritize is something that connects with each of us.

For this work on paper, I chose the "overlapping frames" or "overlapping rectangles" composition. It seemed especially appropriate considering that each priority, commitment, and desire seems to overlap with others. Additionally, Niggle has been working on a painting of a tree with beautiful leaves, and this composition reminds me of leaves - repeating, overlapping, similar but not identical. The color palette for this painting is the same as the painting for The Great Divorce by Lewis. 


Applying the gold leaf
One significant part of this painting is the use of gold leaf as a focal point. Gold leaf is expensive and requires care and focus to apply. In this painting it represents both the value and attention required in working toward our main priorities. It is ALSO intended as a visual pun... Leaf by Niggle. Ha! 

Again, I hope that this painting is not so cerebral that it is a failure as a painting! I think the series will be stronger as a whole than it is with each individual painting. Stay tuned for my painting based on a children's book by Owen Barfield. I am excited to (finish and) share it! 


10" x 10" image on 11" x 14" paper
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame


Click here to view or purchase on my website.

Comments