Landscape lessons; Red Barn

Red Barn
Again last night, I attended a class in another town to brush up on my skills (pun intended). I enjoy these classes, but at the same time, they push me out of my 'comfort zone' as I return to skills I haven't practiced (portrait drawing) or haven't ever tried (oil painting). I am sure this is a valuable part of my pursuit of excellence as an artist. I definitely want to be the best artist I can be!

NLA
9" x 12" on deep canvas

I chose these particular classes because I really appreciate the work of the artist, Nazar Harran; and also because I enjoy the gallery where the classes are being taught, Artworks Galleria in Fort Wayne, IN. Nazar does many different kinds of work, including landscape, portraiture, still life, but best of all, ABSTRACTS! 

Last night at class, my neighbor was doing a tight, precise landscape, using the same photo I was using. I felt great about my work, until I looked over at hers... Eventually, I realized that my preference is for a much looser type of work anyway! I had compared myself to someone/something, and had needlessly felt inferior and ashamed. With my teacher's help, I progressed on this landscape that I enjoy. Maybe there is a lesson here for me, huh?

So today, I am reminding myself that MY path to artistic improvement is not like anyone else's, and that is just as it should be! Just like my path to Christ-likeness. 


Philippians 1:6 (New American Standard Bible)
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

Comments