Then Sings My Soul

Then Sings My Soul
"Just don't paint over that," recommended my son. I often show him works in progress, especially if I am stumped for my next step. He knows very well, that if I cannot see what is next, sometimes my next 
right step is to cover a large part of what has been painted to see what moves me from what shows through. 

SOLD. Commissioned painting
24" x 18"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on gallery wrapped canvas, edges painted black
Includes composition gold leaf

In the middle stages of this painting, I was loving the colors, but I couldn't see what came next, and I was wondering whether I needed to "tone it down". I looked at it from different angles for a couple of days, and when I added gold highlights on some of the textured passages of the painting, suddenly I saw what my son had been seeing all along. The painting began to sing. 

I had a very particular prompt for this work, to express "something that recognizes the beauty of music, and praise through that medium, particularly the piano". I also searched for just the right passage from the Bible to inspire my direction. I found inspiration in Psalm 150. 

Psalm 150
Hallelujah!
Praise God in His sanctuary.
Praise Him in His mighty heavens.
Praise Him for His powerful acts;
praise Him for His abundant greatness.

Praise Him with trumpet blast;
praise Him with harp and lyre.
Praise Him with tambourine and dance;
praise Him with flute and strings.
Praise Him with resounding cymbals;
praise Him with clashing cymbals.
(Praise Him with piano - Brenda version)

Let everything that breathes praise the Lord.
Hallelujah!

And one of the things I picked up from this Psalm, which includes instrumental praise, is that praise is not always quiet! Not "toned down" (pardon the pun)! So my exuberant painting is a visual representation of loud, joyful, musical praise. 

Comments