Fear Not Little Flock

Here is another work that has been a long time on the easel, and now that I am considering it finished (I think) I am struggling for a title for it. I started with a group of three canvases, all the same size, and gessoed the surfaces for texture and then under-painted them with the first layers of gold paint. My concept for all three was the same, Fear Not. 

$1350.00 plus shipping and handling
30" x 30"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Composition gold leaf
Edges painted black

As you might remember, one of the earliest layers on many of my paintings is often made up of words which help me find my direction as I paint. The words on this painting were "fear not little flock" from 
Luke 12:31-32 But seek His kingdom, and these things will be added to you. Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has chosen gladly to give you the kingdom.

Another thought that has tied in with the concept is from an online seminary class I am currently taking. A quote from the class this week that struck a chord with me was, "The tyranny of the urgent will entice you to reject what God has called you to in favor of something else."(Dallas Theological Seminary, What Is Theology, Dr. Glenn Kreider) Though the thought is not a new one, it was encouraging and helpful to be reminded about my true purpose. 

And these thoughts were further reinforced by an email that was forwarded to me by my Dear Daughter, which talked about giving up one aspect of a creative endeavor in order to pursue the truer part of the calling. (I love it that she thought of me when she read this article that focused on an entirely different segment of the creative disciplines.)

As I have also changed direction somewhat in order to pursue the truer part of my calling to paint, it really helps me to recognize that God is responsible for me and my work. What I mean by that is, when I choose to respond to the direction He is leading (as best I can), He will give just what is needed - the results are completely up to Him. 

I find so much comfort in this, and also in the phrase "fear not little flock". So maybe I have my title after all. 

Coram Deo. 

Comments