Duly Noted

One of two paintings from the same inspiration, Duly Noted comes from this prompt:  
something that recognizes the beauty of music, and praise through that medium, particularly the piano. What a treat it has been to work on this theme! My mother is an accomplished pianist, and my daughter and I also play, though not with Mom's ear and skill. So it brought me joy to use abstract painting to express praise through piano music. (Duly Noted was painted with my daughter's piano teacher in mind.)

24" x 18"
Can be displayed either vertically or horizontally
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on gallery wrapped canvas, edges painted black

One of the first ideas I had was to work a suggestion of piano keys throughout the whole work. (Can you see them?) The musical staff with five lines also makes an appearance, crossing with the piano keys to form the cruciform structure on which the painting is built.  In case you were curious, cruciform composition in a painting is where main elements in the work form a cross in one way or another. Cruciform is one of my favorite compositions, and is an expression of my life being built on the gift Jesus Christ gave, dying on the cross, and then rising from the dead to save those who will accept His gift!

Strong texture, and hints of strong color come through the layers of paint, suggesting to me the idea of praise through many circumstances - bright and happy or muted and whispered. There are iridescent and metallic notes throughout, too (Ha! Notes!), which for me are also reminders of God. 

This painting is more subtle and has a quiet beauty that is much more easily seen in person, and it is more appreciated with time to focus on the details. 

Psalm 136:1 Give thanks to the Lord, for He is good,
For His lovingkindness is everlasting.

When searching for Bible based inspiration for this painting, I kept remembering Psalm 136, where the phrase "for His lovingkindness is everlasting" appears in almost every verse. What a beautiful expression of praise in every circumstance!

Comments