In Passing

In Passing
I have given a complete make-over to the painting I am sharing (again) today. I liked many things about this work when I first released it several years ago, but it was time for a refresh. I have posted this painting to my social media platforms, and asked what people see in it now, and have gotten many imaginative comments. It has been fun seeing this one through other people's eyes.

Sold
8" x 8"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Composition gold leaf
Edges painted black

I still like the title for this piece, too. Now it serves to remind me that it has been updated - remade, so to speak - and its form was, and is, in passing. It has been a good activity to keep my hands and art mind engaged between larger works, as I have enjoyed updating and putting touches in places where more, or sometimes less, was needed.

Another artist recently spoke about how much time is spent sitting and looking, or thinking about the next step in painting; a part of art making that is not mentioned too often, and it felt to me like one of those "you, too?" moments that C. S. Lewis wrote about in The Four Loves. 'The typical expression of opening Friendship would be something like, "What? You too? I thought I was the only one." ' Even though this artist is quite famous, and lives across the ocean, I almost felt a sense of friendship, just thinking about how some of my studio time is spent. 

One more Lewis quote: “Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art.... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things which give value to survival.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Four Loves

Well, I know that this post has been a bit disjointed, and most probably you cannot see how it all ties together. I am afraid I don't really know how to explain how these things link in my mind with the painting I am sharing. I wish I had more to tell you about In Passing, but I think this is a great opportunity to hear from you! What do you see here? 

Comments