Rejoice in Hope

Rejoice in Hope
the Hope Project
This work actually scares me just a little. As part of the Hope Project*, there is one spot on the third floor of the hospital that will be filed with a triptych - three paintings that hang together as one work of art. And each of the paintings is done by a different artist in this case. This is my part of the triptych. The thing that is a little scary, though, is that we three have not seen or talked about our parts of the grouping before working on them! What if they don't coordinate?

48" x 24"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

With each of the five paintings, I worked from "sketches" - black and white, cropped copies from my own work. It was actually pretty fun to work that way, once I figured out my work flow. I painted my normal bright colors on one of the earliest layers for each painting, and then began toning them down. And it seems to me that the paintings are working well, even though I have been working under the instruction to tone them down. 

The passage from the Bible that was the inspiration for this work is a short verse from the New Testament. 
Romans 12:12 Rejoice in hope; be patient in affliction; be persistent in prayer.

Keep an eye open for the final two paintings in this project, which are not yet finished. 
Coram Deo.

* The Hope Project is a group of original paintings that have been commissioned for a new local hospital. The paintings will be done by three abstract artists and should be done shortly after Thanksgiving. 

Comments