Esperanza 1 & 2

Esperanza 1
For the last two paintings of The Hope Project*, I decided to use a verse about hope in Spanish. Salmo 38:15 En ti, Señor, pongo mi esperanza, atiéndeme tú, Señor y Dios mío. (Note: my Spanish translation on my computer calls this verse 16, so I am not sure which it should be. In my English versions, it is verse 15.) I only have very elementary Spanish translation skills, but I found this to be beautiful! In my way of reading it, I see "On You, LORD, I place my hope; please pay attention to me, LORD and my God." Those who know what they are doing translate it this way. 
Psalm 38:15 For I hope in You, O Lord;
You will answer, O Lord my God.

Each painting is 40" x 30"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

Esperanza 2
When these two paintings were in progress, I got to one stage of the work and I did NOT want to continue! I thought the paintings were beautiful at that point, though they were much brighter and more vivid than what the design team at the hospital wanted. I even asked them about leaving them in their more vibrant state, but I think I scared them a little - ha! I sent photos of those crazy (but gorgeous) underpaintings, and they were kind, but a little freaked out, asking whether they could be toned down some. Well, I really hadn't meant to cause trouble, but I just liked the underpainting so much! Note to self: don't send progress photos, because they look nothing like the finished paintings!

This project has been absolutely delightful to work on. I am definitely sorry to be finished! At the same time, I look forward to getting back to painting some smaller works here and there, and also some other themes that I have had knocking on my imagination's door for several weeks! I hope you have enjoyed a view of these commissioned works. 

Coram Deo.
Brenda

* The Hope Project is a group of original paintings that have been commissioned for a new local hospital. The paintings will be done by three abstract artists and should be done shortly after Thanksgiving. 


Collage of the Hope Project paintings, cropped

Comments