Old Orchard Minuet

Old Orchard Minuet
 I am looking out my window at the orchard full of blossoming fruit trees in our back yard with flower petals littering the grassy floor. To tell the truth, most of the trees don’t look very beautiful anymore. They lean heavily toward the south, and several are either missing large chunks of branches from last summer’s storms, or are not pruned well and have leggy branches and dead limbs that are scruffy looking. But, oh my goodness! These very old fruit trees bear some delicious fruit in the autumn! 

20" x 16"
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Click here to view or purchase on my website.

Today, all of the trees in the old orchard are dressed up in their spring finery. I am imagining them as old neighbors greeting one another: “Very fine blossoms this year, Mrs. Crabapple!” “Why, thank you, Grandfather Peach! You’re looking quite well in spite of it all, aren’t you?” “My, look how tall the Captain has gotten! Do you expect a lot of pears this year, Sir?” “Miss Plum, may I have this dance?”

I have heard that maybe the roots of trees connect in a woods or orchard. Do you suppose that’s true? If that is the case, this community of fruit trees is ready for the season’s first social event, and I am enjoying the spectacle. 




Comments