Insight

Insight
Gold was the first color on this canvas, and the entire surface was covered with it as a first paint layer. Though sometimes my first pigment carries words or shapes, or even leftover paint from other projects, I have recently been inspired by and wanted to try a metallic gold starting point. So I painted the whole surface gold while emphasizing the texture from the gesso layer, and applying the paint with varying textures and thicknesses to start building an interesting surface.

$1800.00 plus shipping and handling
40" x 30"
Painted with artist quality heavy-body acrylic paint on 1.5” deep gallery wrapped canvas
Edges painted black

Between painting that gold layer and the next step of the work, I had my feet knocked out from under me (figuratively speaking) by a social media post and subsequent phone calls. Incidentally, I keep telling myself I am going to stay away from social media, other than posting my work there, and I sure wish I would listen to myself! Too often I find myself sideswiped by a post that has NOTHING to do with me in real life. I keep "quitting social media" and then finding myself back there a day or two later... 

A better view of some of the
texture in the painting
But this time around, God brought something helpful through the difficulty. While I was still reeling, I had a phone conversation with my best-loved-daughter, and she made a very insightful comment, including something like,  "have faith in the God you say you trust." Oof. Though it was hard to hear something like that at the time, I surely had been responding in a way that showed lack of faith in God, who is not only completely able to arrange every situation, but who also loves me (and each of us) and will bring about the best for me. 

Can you see light shining into surrounding darkness in this work? Maybe a window? The compositional structure is cruciform, which reminds me that the cross of Jesus Christ is the starting point of my daily life. There is a lot of metallic gold, which I often use to communicate the presence of God. And in this particular painting, the dark passages are painted with that metallic gold mixed in with the darker colors. As is so often the case, there is much, much more expressed in this painting than I can put into words! And also, it looks SO much better in real life. I wish you could see it in person. 

Proverbs 27:5-6
Better an open reprimand than concealed love.
The wounds of a friend are trustworthy, but the kisses of an enemy are excessive.

Psalm 143:7-9
Answer me quickly, Lord;
my spirit fails.
Don’t hide your face from me,
or I will be like those
going down to the Pit.
Let me experience
your faithful love in the morning,
for I trust in you.
Reveal to me the way I should go
because I appeal to you.
Rescue me from my enemies, Lord;
I come to you for protection.

Proverbs 3:5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart,
and do not rely on your own understanding;
in all your ways know him,
and he will make your paths straight.

Comments