Victory (4 of 4)

Victory

 Victory is the title of the fourth painting in this series, and it is a celebration of Easter morning when Jesus rose from the dead! 

Matthew 28:1-10 Now after the Sabbath, as it began to dawn toward the first day of the week, Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to look at the grave. And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it. And his appearance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow. The guards shook for fear of him and became like dead men. The angel said to the women, “Do not be afraid; for I know that you are looking for Jesus who has been crucified. He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said. Come, see the place where He was lying. Go quickly and tell His disciples that He has risen from the dead; and behold, He is going ahead of you into Galilee, there you will see Him; behold, I have told you.” And they left the tomb quickly with fear and great joy and ran to report it to His disciples. 

(Set of 4 paintings, contact me to purchase entire set)
About 5" x 5" on damaged paper
Painted with the finest quality heavy-body acrylic paint on acid-free, heavy weight Fabriano watercolor paper
Ready to frame



Each painting is done on Fabriano watercolor paper that has been scuffed and damaged on the back. The damage sometimes impacts the flow of the design on the front of the work, too, and this is part of the appeal of this series for me. 


I am loving the way these paintings work together to tell the story of Easter. All four have some of the same elements, but each is different in a way that expresses its own part of the theme. The first, Fragrance, has circles that seem to float away from a bright spot on the painting. Treachery, the second, seems heavy. Absolute just feels heartbreaking to me where it feels like I can see the crucified Lord in the painting. But Victory is the most different, and is exuberant in its diagonal angles and spatters of metallic gold paint. 

When I posted one of these paintings on my Facebook page, I got this thoughtful, insightful comment from my friend Shawne, who is also an artist:

The quality of the yellow you chose for Treachery feels sick. Like anxious, nervous stomach sick. It is fitting for the inner knowing that one who was once close has gone behind your back.

I felt her comment helped me see more in my own paintings, and so I answered:
Wow, thank you! This morning when my son was here, we looked at how and where that yellow shows up in the other 3 paintings in the series, and it feels fitting in each one. Thank you for pointing that out!

Somehow, having worked on these paintings has helped me prepare my own heart for the upcoming Holy Week leading up to the celebration of Easter. I hope it has encouraged you in the same way. 

Comments